Friday 8 February 2013

Edublogger!

http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.ca/

This is Lisa Nielsen's blog.  She is an educator in the public school system, has written a book and is involved in talking and writing about the future of education.  I decided to follow this blog after the initial scroll through of the categories of her various posts.  After reading a few I decided that I connected with a lot of what she was saying and thought it would be useful to use the links that she gives out to other related blogs and information.  I also really liked how you could listen to webcasts of her speaking.  A lot of the things Lisa has blogged about are very current topics and very relevant to the controversies regarding the use of technology in the classroom.  I felt that I could use more information in that area as well.

I have learned so many new things from keeping up with her posts that it is hard to summarize a short list!  One thing that initially captured me was her view of "Passon (not date) Driven Learning."  This relates to the talk that we were just given by Clarence Fisher.  I also learned that students need to have real authentic audiences for their work.  This goes beyond the scope of You Tube to include reaching out to organizations that support your cause, facebook and twitter.  I know  a lot of educators would cringe at the mention of using these social media outlets for their students which is why I thought it was interesting.  There were also a lot of resources supporting the use of cell phones in class which is a very current issue.

I felt that a lot of her posts were relevant to the material we are learning about in class and further reinforced those ideas.

~ Carissa

1 comment:

  1. Hey Carissa, I think thats awesome that this blogger puts on webcasts of her speaking. I think that using social media is becoming an integrated part of our classrooms now and educators are not going to be able to get rid of it no matter how much they "cringe" at the idea of it. Great post and I think that I'm going to check out this blog too!!

    ReplyDelete