Friday 8 February 2013

Clarence Fisher

Clarence started off his lecture pointing out that education is really changing now whereas before it was very static.  In some instances change for the better is very hard to come by.  For this reason I feel that this is something that we should really embrace and take it as far as it will go.  Clarence stressed the idea that we should teach for engagement and passion based learning.  I could not agree more.  It seems like a very obvious idea but many teachers are more concerned with getting through the curriculum than engaged meaningful learning.  When you really think about it, this idea makes complete sense.  For myself I know that if I am pasisonate about something I am going to be very engaged, try my best and will be willing to work through difficult problems if I have to.  It makes sense that applying this in the classroom would produce very good results.

I am very happy that the idea of memorization is going away, even if it is slowly.  From my own experiences I would memorize enormous amounts of information for exams and ace the exams.  In a few months however I would not be able to talk to you for a minute about any of the informaiton I apparently know on that topic. 

The next key point brought up was that it is not enough to simply use the technology to play a slide show for example.  This will no longer keep kids engage.  Clarence suggested that the students need to be able to create and not just consume.  Students need a deeper reason to be online than because it's fun. 

The last point that really hit home for me was that we are done with the idea of debating if technology is optional or not.  I am a very pencil paper learner that is slowly adjusting to the digital world.  Having all of these different presenters talk about all the different ways technology can play a meaningful role in the classroom has really helped me gain a better perspective about the use of technology in the classroom.

~ Carissa
 

1 comment:

  1. I believe that passion is very important for learning, as well, and vice versa. We will never be able to instil a passion for a subject into our students before they first learn something about it. If we focus the content, we often forget about transmitting the wonder.

    ReplyDelete