Saturday 23 February 2013

Cool Tools

I would like to start this post off by saying that throughout this course I have learned so much about a site that I use all of the time, this site being Google.  Before this course, I only used Google to search for information or pictures.  I had no idea how useful all of its other features were.  Google Docs has been so helpful for completing group projects for school, it is something that I will continue using a lot.  Google + was something that I never paid much attention to and didn't really think that it could possibly be anything that I would find useful.  Lets just say I could not be more wrong.  There are so many neat things that you can do with this once you have created all of your circles.  I am a history major so completing my Arts Degree required me to write a lot of research papers.  It was stressed to us on an almost daily bases that using google for a search was a terrible thing to do.  After three years of this I came to develop almost a fear of using google and I was weary of even creating a gmail account.  I can definitely say now that there are great things that you can do from this one platform.

I absolutely love my bookmarking feature.  I decided to use Diigo and liked it right away.  I liked how simple it was to use and how things were organized.  After being shown Pearltrees in class however, I think I may want to give it a try.  I really liked how everything was displayed very visually pleasing.  With regards to the debate about Pinterest being a legitimate bookmarking site I feel that like anything else it has a time and a place.  There are certain aspects of it that make it very appealing (and as a new member veeerrrryyy addicting!!). 

This class without a guest speaker was very valuable to me because it gave me a chance to see how some of these tools work before I just jump right in.  I like to see what I am getting myself into before jump right in and try it out.

~ Carissa

1 comment:

  1. Carissa, I have the same view on GoogleDocs! I'm actually disappointed that this is the first time being introduced to it... it would have definitely come in handy in my first degree and even in high school! Great post Carissa:)

    ReplyDelete