Saturday 1 February 2014

Digital Storytelling/Powering Up

I am excited to start learning how I can make a digital story and use this as a tool in my classroom.  So far I have had a little bit of experience with the different tools and apps that we went over in class that can be a part of our story making process.  The digital story that I have already made was nothing special.  I feel like it is very unoriginal and is almost just a version of a powerpoint that you don't have to click through.  I am hoping that my next one will be a lot better and something that I can be proud of.  From what I know already I think that my students would really enjoy making one.
Our group has started a discussion on the Ning page about our chapter in Powering Up.  We talked about some of the ideas in the first chapter, Flipping the Switch.  For myself one of the most interesting points that was raised was the idea of a well-rounded child and if this is really possible in today's society.  I don't think that it is as important to be well rounded now as it was ten years ago.  Now you can be a strong social studies student but not be good at math and get by fine.  If you don't know something in math you can look it up online.  In a job setting it is rare that you are working alone and can usually consult someone else on your team that has different strengths than you do to get the problem figured out.  The text also raises the idea that there is so much knowledge at your fingertips is it even possible to be truly well rounded.  I think that this is a very valid point.

~ Carissa

No comments:

Post a Comment