Thursday 24 January 2013

Dean Shareski

This was my very first lecture  through Skype, or any other type of media for that matter, so that in itself was neat to take part in.  I really enjoyed his insight into how we need to think differently about literacy not just consisting of reading and writing.  He really emphasized the value of being able to read and write with media as well.  For myself, starting off in this class has been a struggle becuase I am not literate with media.  I wish that I had more opportunities to use media especially in my university years considering that technology was very accessible.  A big eye opener for me was when Dean talked about teachers being everywhere.  That statement is very true and something that I think we take forgranted sometimes. I am one of those people who he talked about that use the internet just as a place to look up stuff.  I think this will change how I view internet use for my students in my classroom.

After taking part in my first technology based lecture I am really looking forward to finding out more about how technology can work for educators.

~ Carissa

1 comment:

  1. Carissa, I feel that struggling to become media literate will only make you a better teacher, partly because it's a good skill to have, but mostly because you'll understand and empathize with your students who struggle too.

    ReplyDelete